We formulate and produce a variety of radiation-curable coatings. These are all 100% solids products that cure on exposure to short wavelength ultraviolet light (UV) or high-energy electrons from electron beam (EB) sources. Because they are 100% solids systems, there are no volatile solvents to evaporate, making this a classically “green” technology.
Characteristically, both processes cause liquid coatings, varnishes, inks, and adhesives to change into solids virtually instantly. Curing is very fast and cool in relative terms, which allows applications to heat sensitive substrates. Because of their very high cross-link density UV/EB cured products exhibit excellent physical properties (abrasion resistance, chemical resistance, water resistance etc.)
In conventional thermally cured coatings the composition contains a resinous binder, pigments and fillers, and diluent solvents. After application to the substrate, heat is applied, driving off the solvents and curing the coating film. The evaporated solvents are generally flammable and must be considered pollutants. These solvent emissions require the use of even more energy to be burned or “scrubbed” and recovered by distillation. A great deal of expense is involved in heating the coating, substrate and solvent. It is an inefficient, uncomfortable, and messy process.
In radiation curing the resin binder is replaced by a formulation of liquid monomers and oligomers, into which the pigment can be dispersed, generally without the need for either solvent or water. The coating is completely reactive and the amount, or thickness, that is laid down wet is essentially the same as the thickness after curing. And again because the coating is completely reactive there are no volatiles to evaporate making this a classically “green” technology.
- Marine applications
- Aerospace applications
- Paper and paperboard
- Automotive coatings and interior coatings
- Wind turbine
- Construction materials
- Cosmetic applications (nail gel etc.)
- UV/EB process cures almost instantaneously
- Extremely high processing line speed available (350 feet/minute plus)
- No volatile solvents to evaporate during cure
- Excellent physical properties
- Abrasion resistance
- Heat resistance
- Water resistance
- Compression strength etc
- Single component makes for very easy handling in manufacturing (no mixing etc.)
Advantages of The Princeton Keynes Group
Radiation Curable Coatings
- Custom made formulations for specific applications
- Eco-friendly 100% solids chemistry with no volatile solvents etc.
- Safe and easy to use in production operations
- Extremely fast curing technology
- Complete customer application support including process equipment specification and production optimization
- Niche high performance formulations available for extremely demanding physical applications
- Made in the USA